5 – minutes per month can $AVE you big!
Rice Tire – Tire Care Tips
5-Minute Tire Care Tips from Rice Tire
At Rice Tire, we want our customers in Maryland, Virginia, Washington, DC, and surrounding areas to remain on top of tire performance and adhere to maintenance schedules outlined in their owner’s manual.
Your tires contribute to vehicle performance. Tire maintenance can protect your investment by extending the life of your tires. Checking tire pressure and paying close attention to uneven wear patterns cannot replace the benefits of regularly rotating your tires but can alert you to potential issues. Balancing your tires, proper wheel alignment, worn shock absorbers, can all contribute to uneven tire wear. At Rice Tire, we can help you choose the right set of replacement tires based on safety and handling for your car that will all contribute to consistent performance.
Use the following tire care tips to help you stay on top of tire maintenance:
- Check tire pressure to ensure proper inflation. Underinflation can lead to excess heat, uneven tire wear, and decreased braking and handling capabilities, which may cause structural failures like blowouts and tread separation. Properly inflated tires will maximize tread life, improve handling, and increase fuel efficiency and overall driver safety.
- Pro-Tip – Watch not only for uneven wear patters but also for wear patterns that vary from tire to tire in ether the front or back. While rear tires are known to wear faster than front tires (this is normal in rear wheel drive cars) your front tires should wear evenly together. If for example, your left front tire is more warn than your right front tire, this may indicate that your car needs a wheel alignment. Of course there are exceptions as in the case of front wheel drive cars, but this situation should be checked as soon as possible.
- Rice Tire recommends that you follow proper tire rotation schedules. Recommended rotation patterns for your vehicle can be found in your owner’s manual. Routine tire rotations equalize and enhance front-to-rear and side-to-side tire wear. Remember: tire rotation will not prevent or circumvent wear issues caused by worn mechanical components.
- Balance tires as necessary. Out-of-balance tires may be detected in bumps that become more noticeable at higher speeds. Balancing tires is necessary during initial installation and during a remount.
- Install new tires in sets or pairs. The addition of one new tire to the rotation cycle can cause instability and create vehicle handling issues. When new tires are needed, two new tires should be installed on the rear of a vehicle, and the partially worn tires should be moved to the front of the vehicle.
- When the time comes to store your tires for next season, consider a dark place away from direct sunlight with low humidity. Tires should be stored away from solvents, grease, oil, or any ozone-producing electrical equipment, which have deteriorating effects on tires.
- Be mindful of abnormal tire wear or damage to your tires. Watch for signs of punctures, embedded objects, cracks, and bulges.
- Always keep a spare tire, and make sure it’s properly inflated and ready for use. You never know when you’re going to need it.
By taking proper care of your tires, you can remain safe during all types of travel, experience the benefits of better fuel economy, and extend tire life, which will positively impact the environment.
Visit Rice Tire today or contact us online for tire services and any other service inquiry. Next time you’re in, ask one of our friendly service technicians to go over the Tire Care Tips with you and they’ll show you exactly what to do.
Rice Tire is the #1 place to go for your tire or wheel needs, automobile maintenance, and repairs in the mid-Atlantic region. We have 11 locations throughout Washington DC, Baltimore, Maryland, and Virginia. We are in, or near your neighborhood making us your best local tire shop. Give us a call, we are happy to schedule an appointment to check your vehicle and get you safely back on the road as soon as possible.
Find a Store Near You!
Areas Served : Maryland | Virginia | Washington, DC | and surrounding areas